While I see your point here Oriol, I'm less certain it actually requires that! much realistic physics at all the way a racing game would.

Take a game like ice climbers. You jump about five times your characters' own hight but only one block to either side.

You have three basic functions, walking, jumping and swinging your hammer and that is it, sinse the game is incredibly simple, in fact I doubt there is an overall physics engine there at all.

yet, it uses the conveyer belts idea, as well as ledges moving at different speeds to create complex situations as a challenge to the player, simply I believe by tracking different movement wrates wrelative to the characters' walking speed.

I'm not suggesting a full blown physics engine here, just that monkeying around with surfaces your char walks on might be a fun addition to games.

Beware the Grue!