Hmmm I am not a dev, but I have a fair idea on what is involved.
Take soundrts, this is a grid based environment with letters a-z at the the vertical axis and 1 through till hmmm probably infinate numbers on the horisontal.
so 26 by whatever.
You have objects and free spaces to build objects.
You have types of object, building, troops, etc.
There is a stats system for dammage and such.
There is a currency usually gold, wood and metal for building and mines and other areas to harvest these materials which will become free space after all the resource is used.
You will have enemies, monsters usually or other troops etc.
Ofcause this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay basic.
There are stats engines for just about everything from dammage, resourceses and such to scores and other things that are to numerous to mention here depending on the type of the game. Next randomised values for just about everything except for object and troop health unless thats needed and also fixed things and maybe a combonation of such.
And thats it.
If you have played dnd, or even more basic than that a board game like chess or drafts or something, you should get the idea of the grid system.
Ofcause not all rpgs have dice roles.
If you play gamebooks on www.ffproject.com you may get the idea of a simple rpg, ffproject does calculate most of the stuff randomly for you as if you role the dices.
So this helps.
This is about all I know from a gamers prospective I am sure there is more than this here. And there are more than I on here that still play physical games, my life as it is is quite dull as I have no one to really play with or the time at any case.