Hi Kim,

Well, those are certainly some valid points. You are right many roll
playing games are all too often about kill, hunt for treasure, and
kill some more. I usually like games with some real exploration in
them. I don't mind fighting, but would like to see games with a little
more exploration to them. Something more like Indiana Jones where you
have to over come traps, figure out puzzles, and things like that more
than hacking and slicing your way through hords of enemies.

One game I initially liked when it started out is called Sryth. Its an
online roll playing game, set in a DND type universe, and it started
out pretty decent. Unfortunately, over the last year or two the gm has
been adding a lot of content that is simply little more than grinding
for stats. I.E. adventures you can play over and over again, doing the
same thing over and over again, to help build up skill points etc.
That doesn't apeal to me at all. I'm into the game for the adventures,
the quests, the exploration not the fighting.

As for the DND source books you are right. Sometimes the classes do
need to be better defined. I've had a heck of a time modifying
existing classes for my DC Comics game as they didn't really fit the
kind of characters I was dealing with. The closest was Zatana, a
heroic sorceress, but the idea of having to memorize x number of
spells etc just didn't fit. Zatana in the DC Comics is an extremely
powerful character and has a variety of magical powers. Plus she has a
number of magical items she uses to increase her abilities.  I found
all of the magic classes in the DND handbooks either not defined
enough or lacking some power or ability I felt Zatana would need.

Plus given that the DND handbooks is designed for armor classes etc a
lot of that really didnt' fit either. In DC Comics you get a few
characters such as Steel who wheirs armor, and Wonder Woman has her
magic bracelets but armor isn't really an issue for most super heroes
or super villains. Somebody like Superman is practically
indestructable without armor so doesn't need it.

Cheers!