Hi Dark,

Well, that's something of the catch 22. You could certainly use
headphones, but if they aren't 5.1 surround sound headphones some of
the audio positioning etc would be lost as you don't have 5 channels
of audio output and are reduced to 2d stereo. In other words you could
do it but the audio quality would suffer, and you might have to relie
on other things like a targeting beep to properly aim a weapon, or
scan the area with the look command to get a better idea of where
things are in relation to you. So I think it is still possible, but
might require some other  form of feedback besides audio.

I don't really see this as a problem though, because as you said the
games that do have 3d audio like Shades of Doom can be played with
bog standard headphones  with full 3d audio enabled. That's because
Shades of Doom has a lot of other ways of obtaining the same feedback
such as a targeting scope, the ability to get the distance and
direction to monsters, examine door ways, etc which gives the player
more than one way to figure out  his/her environment rather than
audio. So I would assume MOTA 3D should be as accessible given the
fact I plan to add in most if not all of the same kinds of verbal and
audio queues as Shades of Doomm.