Hi Tom.

here I was specifically thinking of games like tmnt, double dragon, golden axe etc. If batman is similar to batman on the mega drive (the only batman game I've played), then I'd class that more as a 2D platformer ala mega man, castlevania etc rather than a beat em up despite the fact you could punch.

We've already had discussions on list about the 2D vertical plane, which is why I'm hopeful mota, and probably perilous hearts, will change people's perceptions in this idea.

however, here I was just making the point after playing walk along beat em ups, that even in a game like final fight or streets of rage where you are always just walking left to right, there is an additional, vertical dimention to the gameplay which has been totally missing in audio games thus far, just as much as full 2D vertical jumping has been missing too.

Beware the grue!