Hi Dark,

The Batman game for the original NES was definitely a walk along
beat-m-up. You could punch, kick, throw batarangs, and as i recall
pick up missile launchers to take out flying enemies. I would class it
more like TMNT and Double Dragon than with Megaman or Castlevania.

In either case your point that we lack a vertical dimention is
definitely correct. In Legend of Kage for example you could climb
certain trees run up/down staircases in the castle level, and enemies
could attack from above, below, behind, or straight ahead. We simply
do not have that style of game as a walk along beat-m-up or anything
else yet.

Cheers!