In Hal, it's possible to switch the onscreen read language without the one used in the control panel and for Hal's own functions and names of controls etc.

There is even a hotkey, ctrl period and comma to cycle through available on screen languages.

This is why it's so easy for me to read the pronunciation of words to songs in Italian or German, even though i don't speak either of those languages, sinse I just hit ctrl period a few times to get into that language, then hit a few times more to go back to English.

Actually, one thing I'm thinking of doing when i've finished my phd is taking a basic module in spoken Italian to improve my singing, and this feature of Hal would be really useful at that point, sinse I'd have no worries about messing up my entire screen reader interface and could just flick in and out of what I need to read as needed.

Beware the grue!