One thing I always do, always always, is build a storehouse around d or e 12.
I start my settlement far far from the gobblins, which, if I know
strategy, is a good idea. The game starts you at 1a, so I'm not
surprised people build there and then get overrn. I put the storehouse
there, then the tavern one south, the farms north, east, and west,
that's one each of the types, the mill northeast of the storehouse,
the bakery northwest or southeast, and the butchers' shop not far from
there. Then I put a sawmill and quarry east along that stony field and
dense forest line so I have quick resources. Then, I focus on getting
houses, except in this latest game, where I'm basically trying to see
how fast I can get the ship done and get the people out of freakout
island.
I usually get two farmers per farm, and when I need intensive work, I
get a bartender going. I try to make sure, right away, that I have a
guy and a girl doing the same job, so if the girl gets pregnant,
there's still someone doing the job. I also try to put a little spirit
of roleplay into my choices. Last night, in my huge normous game, I
had two people named Jayla. The first one became a knight, and when
the second came along, she became a soldier, but then, after a while,
she got tired of being called the "other Jayla" so I shifted her into
being a farmer. I made all the folk with bible names become fishermen,
which struck me as amusing.

I usually pt in a new vej and wheat farm per thirty or fourty people,
put in a new cook every sixty or so, and as I said I throw bartenders
in there when I need something intensive done. I found, however, that
even with a community pushing 150, I only really needed about 15
dedicated peasants, and even those were sometimes standing around.
Yeah, I had two builders who doubled as peasants, but it was pretty
neat.

Just as a note, I had about 30 soldiers, plus six knights, irony of ironies.

There's a big downside to doing things the way I did. You need a lot
of houses, and you probably won't ever be able to build anything on a
border, because gobblins enjoy showing up just to get soldier swarmed.