Steady, I'm glad to hear you enjoy the game!  :D

The question about guard towers has come up a lot, so I'll try to explain it as
best as I can.  Please let me know if this helps clear up how they are used.

When you have soldiers, they will pick a building to serve as their home base.
This will usually be the barracks, and this is the place they will return to
and rest at after a day of battling goblins.  The problem is that your barracks
might be very far from the goblins, lets pretend it is 15 tiles away.  Every
time they want to attack, your soldiers must march 15 tiles to the battle, kill
goblins, and then march 15 tiles back home to rest.  Tons of time is being
wasted walking, when they could have rested and killed more goblins had the
barracks been close to the battle.

One way to solve this would be to build another barracks near the fighting so
your soldiers don't have to travel so far to rest between battles.  This would
work but Barracks are expensive, so it is much cheaper to build guard towers.
Guard towers also let soldiers rest just like your barracks, so you can put
these near the battle and they are much cheaper to build.  If the guard tower
is 2 tiles away, your soldiers can attack the goblins, go back to rest, attack
them more, and more, and it has only taken as long as it used to take them to
attack once and then walk 15 tiles back to the barracks.  By traveling shorter
distances, your people can attack more.

Some people wonder what happens if they scatter guard towers around the map.
The good news is that it can't hurt, it can only help.  The soldiers will
always try to protect your town if they can, which means they would rather
attack goblins who are close to one of your buildings.  After attacking the
closest goblins, they will head to the closest place they can rest.  If you
have guard towers dotted around the map, they will almost certainly see one
that is closer than walking all of the way back to your barracks.  And if your
barracks happens to be closer, they will rest their instead.