Hi.
I'm curious, what would you do if you started using sapi for output when it came to mac and linux? Would you use speech dispatcher or what ever they call the sapi-like system they have on those platforms? Also I had a bit of a brainstorm. I know ESpeak is pretty much considered dreadful, but it's so small and open source. Do you think you could use the library version of ESpeak legally in all of your games as an option?

I never finished it, but I have a bgt script that can play wav files if it can find them, otherwise it will speak using SAPI. I wonder if you would be better off if you wrote something like it to handle use of sapi, speech dispatcher or what ever other options there are on each platform you will work with. It will use the correct speech api, but if there are sounds it will play those. Then almost automatically you could allow for use of voice packs, or you could be able to switch to sapi or similar if the user chooses in the menu to do it or if it is on a platform who's speech api you don't support.

There is one big problem with that. That is you have to send the right chunks of text speech that will work with speech files. You can't just send your whole sentence to the script or what ever it would be called in your case and expect it to load the right individual files. Oh it would work with sapi fine, but not playing files. So if you took the time to send it individual chunks of text, it would load files who's names are the same as each chunk of text or if not found it will speak that chunk. But if you send it a bunch of stuff to speak and there are no files, it will make sapi pause similar to how voiceovers do, that probably isn't desirable. Actually. my script spells anything it doesn't have files for because when I wrote it sapi wasn't supported quite yet. I stopped because Angel script had a limitation I couldn't find a way to get around. I should go ahead and finish it, I think lots of bgt programmers could make good use of it.

Sent with Thunderbird 3.1.10 portable.