well I wouldn't mind these games being rewritten, The concept of mars is quite cool but getting out dated, some sort of exploration game is something we havn't had for ages if ever.
Random events though hmmm.
If we kept the theme as the origional, more places to restock air, a way to get back from time warps befor you run out of fuel. A description of what rocks do what and a way to list what you have, also to warn you if something is dangerous.
Have more stations to restock your ship.
Be able to go further than mars or if staying with the same theme back to earth. In truth with the random elements switched off you only have enough fuel to get to mars and not much more really.