Hi Chris,

The best way to track targets in a 3d world is to come up with a
targeting system like GMA Tank Commander uses. You'd have one type of
beep to handle the horizontal axis and a different one for the
vertical axis. The beeps would increase in pitch as you center the
enemy target in the crosshairs and decrease in pitch the further you
are off target.

Plus rather than trying to target multiple targets at once you might
want to have some kind of target selecter---again like Tank
Commander--so you can focus on one specific target at a time. Its not
only easier to track using your targeting beeps, but all real time
information like distance, direction, altitude, etc will be related to
the target that the player is attempting to attack.

For instance, if I'm in a starfighter and in combat with an enemy
starfighter I will likely want all the combat data pertaining to that
target at hand. I wouldn't want the speech output to read combat data
for every enemy ship in the area before getting around to telling me
what I need to know. That kind of thing will get the player killed or
cause some unnecessary delay in the game play. So allowing the player
to select and scan a specific target at a time is the best way to
relay information.

As far as commanding a single ship or a fleet of ships that would be
your call. Either one is good. Perhaps a compromise like Tank
Commander level 6 where you command one ship, but have x number of
A.I. ships you can order to strike an enemy target or follow you into
a combat situation. The player wouldn't have to necessarily monitor
all the allied ships all of the time, as the A.I. would handle most of
the combat themselves--but the player could give the other ships
orders such as follow, hold position, explore sector x, whatever.

HTH