> Plus as others have mentioned AWT Events are to slow for reliable
keyboard/mouse support in games, and javax.sound.sampled leaves a lot
to be desired.

For AWT it's not true for all games. For a small game like magic blocks, or even for games like SoundRTS or emtombed, I think that's not a big problem. That's the same situation as python with pygame I think. However, I agree that for games where you really have to be fast like swamp, audio quake, top speed, MOTA, etc. that could be problematic. Gamepads are also more popular in that type of game.

For javax.sound basicly you can't do many things, right. But if you remember well, I made some time ago a small 3D audio library built on top of javax.sound. It is certainly a little slower than DirectX or XAudio, but it's far better than SDLMixer...

IN fact I would like to see a language as easy as java but as reliable as C/C++. Is C# as good candidate ? If yes, than I would just have to figure out how to import my newly created screen reader API. Learn the language and standard library shouldn't be too difficult. However with C# I can immediately forget about mac or linux ports... so there is also a cost. Could you advise me about C#, if you think this would be a good choice or not and why.