Actually that does seem like the case, but the foot steps aren't looped but are
separate events as each foot lands.  It's overkill, but each foot is actually
tracked individually in 2D and they move and step around the body following a
set of rules to try to make them match how a person positions their feet when
they walk, turn, and change direction.  Yes overkill I know, haha!  A looping
sound would have probably worked just as well since most people never realize
there is anything more to Swamp's footstep sounds than a loop.

The zombie growls and the ambient noises are both separate sound events which
are tracked to update them as things move.  I suspect the panning bugs and the
ambient noises that never turn off are related, and that for some reason they
stop updating.  I haven't been able to get it to happen to myself so it's
making it very hard to track down the actual problem.