(Note - it appears that this thread has gone into the weeds and is no
longer really relevant to the topic of audio gaming...)

FYI Alex, it's pretty much inconceivable to me that your assertion is
true; an old Pentium with 256 MB of ram should be able to handle
ridiculously complex multi-channel 3D audio.  The processing load
isn't nearly as heavy for audio as it is for modern video, and any
audio-only developer that runs out of horsepower is doing something
very, very wrong.  Either that, or the operating system/libraries are
doing something very, very wrong.

For reference, I'm using a custom audio core that I wrote in C/C++
code in the space of about three hours, a core that mixes everything
on a per-sample basis using a stream filter approach (simple but very
inefficient).  Turning on the low level interrupt handler without
anything being played out uses 3% of one core of my processor, and
playing out 15 things simultaneously raises that to 4%.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com