API stands for application programming interface. Software provides API's for other programs to request information or have them perform actions. For example, SAPI is an API for microsoft's speech standard. Programs can request it to speak text, get the list of voices, etc. Each screen reader also provides an API which allows a developer to have it directly speak text. In the case of flight simulator, an API may allow one to get data about the aircraft and surroundings like Altitude, heading and speed, weather conditions, flip switches and so on. If the developers stick to standard controls as they did for now, that's half the problem taken care of. For accessing all the readouts, since hhalf the keyboard will be already taken, I think a layered aproach akin to what tdv does will be our best bet. We;'d need access to things like the auto pilot controls and it would be nice if the ATC popups would actually say what they contain. Speech recognition would also be an option, but I never had that great of a success with it, hence why I have issues with IYP, so being able to drive the simulator with keyboard and standard ontrols would be greatly appreciated.
On 2011-12-29 02:00, Ron Kolesar wrote:
To my fellow gamers.
I would like to know what API stands for.
I've been hearing quite a bit about this abbreviation and would like to learn more about it. I would like to share this info that makes games blind friendly with the new up coming microsoft flight simulator up grade. So what would you as fellow blind gamers or in this case a simulator for the blind want in the sim? I'm trying to educate the sighted members on the beta team that we the blind also enjoy the art of flight. Many Many thanks for educating not only this blind gamer but the sighted members of flight simulator beta team to make fs blind friendly.;;

Ron and current Leader Dog boz who states "that a service dog beats a cane hands down any day of the week."