Ron,

API stands for application programming interface. What that means in
down to earth language is it is a collection of libraries, dll files,
that contain reusable code for building similar types of programs.

For example, in Microsoft's .Net API there is a library called
System.Windows.Forms.dll. That particular library is used for drawing
the application window and creating all the basic U.I. controls like
buttons, menus, checkboxes, etc. Since almost every Windows
application will need these basic elements the code is stored in a
library and can be used to rapidly build new applications using a
common application programming interface or API for short. What is
also nice about an API is since it is shared among several, perhaps
hundreds of applications, when bugs are fixed in the underlying API it
makes it easier to  resolve bugs in all of the applications that use
it resulting in more stable and better long term support across the
board. Once an API is reasonably stable a developer can be fairly
certain that every application he/she builds will also be reasonably
stable using that API

However, now that you know what an API is I don't see what this has to
do with Microsoft Flight Simulator. A game or simulator like that uses
several different APIs. Some common and probably a few custom for that
particular project.

Cheers!