Hi tom.

It's just that sort of thing which I'd love to see in a trek game, using the environment and the enemy tactics to your own advantage. I'm not sure how useable that would be with multiple ships, but for a single ship with missions it'd be great.

heck, you could even have a plotline with a ship with an experimental phase cloak which you had to destroy, just like the experimental ships you fight in some of the lw missions.

Beware the grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Great Trek 2000 Battle

Hi Dark,

Yes, all of the weapons in Trek 2000 have a maximum range. The Tholian
web generators, for example, only are effective under 2 units. that's
why they have to move in extremely close before trapping you in a
Tholian web. The photon torpedoes have an effective range of about 6.
Although, I've hit enemies as far as 9 units away. Once you figure out
what are the maximum attack range of each enemy you can pretty much
build your tactics around that and shred their forces before they can
do much damage to your fleet.

As far as being in an asteroid field or debree field that would
definitely present a number of challenges for both sides as long range
sensors would be ineffective and short range sensors would be less
effective. The various missions into the Bad Lands on Deep Space 9
really illustrated how any kind of space dust or space debree can
lower the effectiveness of sensor scans and weapon performance.
However, that can be as much a hindrance to the enemy as you.

For example, the Romulans primarily base their tactics on stealth
technology. The cloaking device can render a ship almost completely
invisible but in order to do that they have to lower shields and draw
power from the shield generators to maintain the cloak. Apparently the
Klingons also have this vonerability in their own cloaking technology.
As a result if a ship like that got hit by an asteroid or similar
piece of debree it would be seriously damaged if not outright
destroyed by the collision. So it would be hazardess for any enemy
ship to enter an asteroid or debree field while cloaked. That alone
takes away one serious advantage those enemy ships possess in any
combat situation.

Although, the Romulans do have a wild card that could come into play
if we base this on the later seasons of TNG. Beginning in season 6 the
Romulans were building a new device that could both phase and cloak a
warbird at the same time. That would allow them to pass through
asteroids and other space debree uneffected. However, that technology
was also apparently unstable as the U.S.S. Pegasus was a shining
example of what can and did go wrong when the phase technology wasn't
working correctly. After season 6 of TNG I don't remember the phase
technology being discussed on TNG, DS 9, or Voyager again. That leads
me to believe it was an experimental piece of hardware that was never
deployed throughout the Romulan Empire. Otherwise if the Romulans had
it they certainly would have used it against the Dominion in the
Dominion War. Plus Commander Sela's flagship, the Goraxus, didn't have
phase-cloak technology in the season 7 episode
where she captured La Forge further reinforcing my opinion that
phase-cloak was experimental only.

Cheers!