There are plenty of axes in the modern world. Hatchets, camp axes, fire axes, wood-splitting mauls and axes, etc. They aren't just a medieval weapon. Having said that I think the axe sound needs to be updated, right now it sounds like you're swinging around a giant battleaxe, when in truth I think it needs to be cut down to a hatchet or camp axe to make things more realistic. Either that or, make it a military issue knife of some kind, there are plenty to choose from.

While I don't agree with the cross genre thing, especially not in a game like this, unless it was done as a joke, I do want to suggest a weapon. The wasp knife. It's a large knife, similar to a bowey knife, but when you stab your target, you press a button on the handle and it injects the wound with a huge amount of gas which quickly expands, causing massive internal damage by freezing and displacement. This could fit right along with the proposed assassination idea, sneaking up on a zombie, getting in extremely close, stabbing it for massive damage, then retreating into the shadows to reload your knife. It'd also be the first melee weapon that required ammo in probably any game.

And yes, this is a real knife. You can buy one for personal use for about 600 dollars.
From: "Clement Chou" <chou.clem...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 01:12 AM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] howlers

Just deleted the message by accident. But if an axe fits the game... then why not a bow? I fully respect the shooter genre, but in these games, the more weapons the better... and a lot of shooters mix weapons from different areas. Assassin's Creed, one of the most popular action adventure games, features swords, grenades, guns, and all the rest... while being a renaissance-based game. If swamp were to stick purely to the classic survival shooter formula, the only close range weapon would be a knife, not an axe. I think if an axe is allowed, there should be room for others. Especially for sniping... after all, some crossbows have been called the pioneer of sniper rifles.