I am also a modern collector of weapons. But the thing is most people don't know where to go or what to look for. People always ask me where I get my stuff. Swords, axes, medieval-style knives, just aren't that common these days. Haha though I do have an axe that would be perfect for hacking even larger zombies apart. It's about 3 and a half feet long from the butt of the shaft to the tip of the blades, and the blades span almost 2 and a half feet across. I'd think that could even hack the arm off a tyrant. But really, as you've said, going up against a zombie with a melee weapon is just silly, as is shooting a zombie multiple times and expending a couple clips of amunition on some weapons just to bring down a few zombies when you should be going for strictly head shots. So realism really is not a factor here.

From: "Johnny Tai" <johnnyti...@shaw.ca>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:51 AM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] howlers

Have to disagree on the part about modern melee weapon- being a collector and a swordfighter of sort, I know that getting your hands on a fully functional and high quality sword is not that difficult- provided you know what to look for and where to go. Especially since zombies aren't likely to be clashing steel against you, all you have to worry about is the sharpness and grade of your steel- even a replica longsword, if it's full-tang and at least 440 stainless steel, can probably chop through rotting flesh/bones with ease- while keeping you far enough away from arms reach. Agree about that part where you'd go against a tyrant though, in that case, definitely a gun's prefered.
If these tyrants are anything like the resident evil ones.