Hi Dark,

Oh, yeah. I often feel its the lack of funding that keeps audio game
developers behind the mainstream. I've got the skills to write
something like WWE 12, which came out for the XBox recently, but
skills don't mean Jack if I don't have the human voice actors to do
the commentary, ring announcements, and prematch cutscenes. Often
times it is the real performers themselves so you know they've got to
be paying top dollar to get the wrestlers to come in and record all
the sounds and so on.

I've seen the same thing in the Star Trek games. Star Trek: Elite
Force is a good example. While there were plenty of non-cannon
characters written into the game all the top stars from Voyager
reprized their rolls for the game's cutscenes. I'm sure hiring the
actors from Star Trek: Voyager for a game wouldn't exactly come cheap.

That is essentially our problem as independent game developers. We
don't have the funding to hire big name stars to do voice overs, nor
can we hire the top graphics artests to do 3d graphics and full motion
video. That doesn't mean we can not make do with hiring someone from
voices.com or getting help from fellow list members, but by and large
we don't have the money to do nearly half the things a commercial
company can do.