Hi Thomas, I've just tried swamp again, and when I'm pressing my left and right mouse buttons nothing seems to happen, but when I move my finger over the pad the sounds do seem to change, and I find I'm starting to hear someone shouting out orders, and other sounds. I still don't hear any footstep sounds, not even when I try shift d or any of the other keys. I want to get the hang of this, as the sounds sound very good and the music I like too. What I might do is see if I can get a usb mouse from somewhere, just to try it out. Thanks from Lori.

From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 6:03 PM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Swamp question

Hi Lori,

Well, let me explain this so you can understand where we are coming
from. The way the mouse works in standard Windows applications and the
way it works in games is completely different.

In standard Windows applications you need some sight to use the mouse
because the mouse is used to move a cursor around the screen to click
on buttons, menus, icons, etc. This is generally what most people
think of when you mention using a mouse. However, this doesn't apply
to games, because they use a totally different interface.

In games a mouse is no different from any other input device like a
keyboard or joystick. there is no cursor to move around and point and
click on things. Instead the game developer maps commands like walk
forward to mouse forward, walk back to mouse backward, turn left to
mouse left, turn right to mouse right, etc. This does not require any
sight at all, because when you move the mouse the audio environment is
updated to match the movement of the mouse. Make sense?

For instance, let's use Troopenum as an example. Let's say you could
use a mouse in that game. If you pulled the mouse left you would move
left in the game world, and when you pull the mouse right you would
move right in the game world. Pressing left click would fire your
laser. Essentially, the mouse would react like a joystick and not a
mouse. Therefore you don't really need sight to play the game because
the same commands that the developer could map to  a keyboard or
joystick can be mapped to the mouse too.

But if you can't see then how are you supposed to opperate a mouse?