Hi Jim.

I might be utterly wrong, but as I understand it a "script file" simply means a file that a user can write to get an existing program to do stuff. It's not programming, sinse what you write are basically instructions for the host program to follow, but it's a way for someone to get the program to read new content or behave in a certain way over and above what it does normally.

Thus, when I type in a trivia file,

q> is this a question?

it's an instruction for the trivia engine to speak the text, add another possible point to the over all score for the file,then display any answers that come after it.

I don't need to write my own trivia game engine if I want to have a quiz, I can just write instructions for your trivia program to follow, and indeed include different content than what was there by default provided I tell the program what that is.

that's as I understand it what a script is, a set of instructions to a host program that someone can write, which a program can follow, without the person having to write their own program from scratch to do everything.

of course, some scripts involve programming, and some can be really complex, like the Bgt scripts, where as others can be as simple to write and understand as yours.

As I said I could be wrong, but certainly when i've talked about scripts that's what I've meant.

Beware the grue!