Hi Dark,

Well, I actually have my own Start Menu laid out pretty much as you describe. Under Programs I have a menu for Games that has GMA, PCS, Draconis, USA Games, etc all divided up by developer and game. I have another option called Office where I have Jarte, Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, etc all devided up the same way. All of my Development tools are under a subdirectory called Development just like Games and Office programs are. Just because I'm using Windows 7 doesn't mean I can't organize the Start Menu as you described. You still have a great deal of ability to customize how you want your Start Menu to look.

For example, you mentioned the fact you really don't like all the automated stuff where it puts the last used and recommended apps at the top of your Start Menu. That's no big deal. You can go into Start Menu properties and turn it off as well as various other settings for the Start Menu. Its not quite as simple as the classic Start Menu setup but the point is you can still customize it to a certain degree.

For instance, I really do not like the Control Panel in Windows 7, and prefer the classic Control Panel from XP. Well, there is a way to reach a compromise on that issue. In Windows 7 if I go under Start Menu properties I can have the Control Panel display in a menu rather than as a web page. That's almost as good as the classic Control Panel because my Control Panel shows up as a menu in the Start menu with several icons for Programs and Features, Users, Display Settings, etc. Windows 7 still met me half way on that issue.

That said, there is a feature in Windows 7 I personally like that doesn't even require the Start Menu. In Windows 7 you can pin icons to the Taskbar and asign them to Windows+1 through Windows+0. If I pin Firefox to the Taskbar I can use Windows+1 to launch it, and if it is already open Windows+1 will bring Firefox to the foreground. What's cool about this feature is I have Thunderbird and Firefox open at the same time I can switch between apps with Windows+1 and Windows+2 because they are pinned to the Taskbar and are assigned to those hot keys. This I think does justify the automation added to Windows 7 because I think it makes launching and switching between common apps better. At least for me anyway.

Cheers!