Hi Damien,

Well, unfortunately I think that is the problem for most blind game developers. I hear audio game developers say that they can't think of any new games to create, because everything has been taken. However, I can think of several games that have never been tried in audio that should be fairly easy to recreate.

For example, let's take the game Combat for the Atari 2600. As far as arcade games goes it was pretty simplistic, but could easily be converted into audio.

Basically, in Combat you have two tanks on the screen. Each player takes a controller and the goal is to drive around the screen trying to destroy the opponent's tank. After the opponent tank gets hit so many times it blows up and you have to restart the game.

Now, as I said this is a simple game that could easily be converted to audio. For starts we don't need a lot of sounds. Just some sounds for the player's tank and a different one for the opponent tank or tanks. For two-player mode we would add networked game play so that one or more players can join a game and attempt to destroy as many enemy tanks as possible. The player who survives the combat is the winner.

If someone wants to take it a step further they could add different maps to the game for different types of environments like jungle, desert, arctic, etc. This would actually end up being better than the original arcade game because it wouldn't be hard to create new levels and different maps to play on that would offer different environments and challenges. Although, it would be a tank game it is totally different from GMA Tank Commander.

Another simple game not done in audio is Chopper Command. Basically, you are a single chopper flying through the sky and enemy choppers will approach from the north, south, east, and west and will attempt to shoot you down. The object of the game is simply to shoot down all the enemy choppers in the sky.

Its different from the Space Invader games because you have full 2d movement. You can fly forwards, backwards, turn left/right, hover in place, and enemies will attempt to attack from north, south, east, and west. I'm really surprised something this simple just has never been tried before in audio as its a relatively simple concept.

That's basically my point of writing the article. I can remember several games I've played from the Atari, Colleco, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, etc that just haven't been tried before in audio. Its not that they are too complex to create, but blind developers just don't know about them to begin with. Just off the top of my head I wrote about two classic Atari games that have no equal in audio games, and I think it would help to start making blind gamers and developers aware of what is out there.

Cheers!