I think you hit the nail on the head. And the beeps were just an example. I have other ideas too... if you were being shot at by a sniper with a bow from far away, I could think of several different sounds to signify whether an arrow was coming from above or below. The beeping I would use in a modern shooter, something like Call of Duty, Counterstrike, etc. But in an ancient setting, it would make more sense for different sounds of course, and all the ways you mentioned are things I like precisely for the reasons you gave about ambiance as well as just being more natural. I was simply thinking of modern shooters because aside from fighting games, that's probably my other favorite genre of games... that I wish we could play, along with action adventure games. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A Proposal for Game Developers

Hi Clement,

Yeah, I know what you mean by lack of tactics. Which is really one of the major points I want to raise. While I am not really a fan of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, etc I am well aware of the degree of artificial intelligence and skill level required to play those games. Most audio games sadly don't match it.

As to the idea of using beeps to indicate if an enemy is above or below you I don't know. The problem with the beep idea is that its fine for a sci-fi setting where you can work it into the storyline by having a heads up display, threat radar, laser sight, whatever but totally out of place in an ancient setting. Obviously, a knight, warrior,paladin, wizard, whatever wouldn't hear beeps if an enemy is above or below. So a more realistic or natural sound should be used instead.

For example, if I get around to completing the 3d FPS version of my Tomb Hunter games I want to use slight wind sounds to indicate doors and passages. It only makes sense if passing a doorway to here a deep windy sound to indicate a room or corridor is off to your left or right. It would not make sense for the doors to begin beeping like mad unless Angela has some sort of equipment to locate doors and passages. Even then I think the wind sounds are better because it blends nicely into the background ambiance.

Another case is ledges. As you probably know in MOTA I used dripping water to indicate where certain ledges were. A high pitched drip indicated a ledge was above you, and a low pitched drip indicated a ledge was below you. As you know that not only gave the player the information he/she needed, but also fit into the background ambiance too.