Thomas, you can install Windows using BootCamp which would give you dos
support. -Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this would allow someone to play
those older games on the Mac, yes?…

Smiles,

Cara :)
---
View my Online Portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

Follow me on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/ModelCara

On Apr 29, 2012, at 7:26 AM, Thomas Ward wrote:

Hi Michael,

No. That's the principle problem with emulators like Dosbox or Wine. There is
no way to use a screen reader like VoiceOver, Jaws, Window-Eyes, Orca, whatever
to read the text on the screen, and because there are a number of special
dependencies required to run a Windows screen reader they won't work in Wine
either. So if the game or app isn't self-voicing its not very useful for us.

For example, I've had some success using Wine for some Windows games like Jim
Kitchen's games simply because I can install Visual Basic 6, DirectX 8, and
Sapi 5 in Wine, and Jim's games play fine on Mac OS and Linux using Wine.
However, something like the De Steno games wouldn't work simply because screen
readers can't read the text on the screen when it is being emulated in Dosbox
or Wine. Its for that reason something like the De Steno games would have to be
rewritten for the specific platform, or have Sapi support etc added for direct
speech output.

Cheers!