Dakotah made some good points. I don't know much about the wii so I can't comment much on it. But as I said, if your son already plays GTA that may make things somewhat easier. I started my gaming career through consoles before I even knew audio games existed, so I think it's entirely dependent on what the person is looking for. Audio games are a good place to start, but I think it's often more frustrating to play them first, as you then expect console games to be as simple and get more frustrated when you actually have to learn them. Though I will agree that sitting down with someone and playing through an action adventure together is pretty good too. And Dakotah also said that apple devices are more accessible... this is also definitely true, and I think games there would be somewhat easier to get into, since they're more integrated and learning the ipod or iphone would be simple. But all in all, I'd say the psp has a good list of games, all be it a small one... but if your son is willing to put in the energy to learn it and if you can help him along, it's definitely something to enjoy. Here's a short list of games that I think are accessible in series format, and as most people have said, pretty much all of these games are fighting games.
Tekken series, with two games
Street Fighter, which has one game on the psp and a few as part of capcom arcade collections
Mortal Kombat unchained
Fight night and other boxing type games
WWE smack down vs. raw
I haven't played all of these, and there are also more games than what is listed here. That's just a start.