Hi Dark,

Well, that er bin legend is only partly true. At the time E.T. was released the movie was a huge success at the box office, and a lot of E.T. merchandise t-shirts, toys, serial, you name it was a major financial success. So the the developer who wrote the E.T. video game assumed that the video game would do equally well, and made the mistake of spending a lot of money on mass marketing the game, created something like 2,000,000 copies for release world wide, and it didn't sell. I did some research today on this topic and apparently most gaming magazines etc gave the game an abysmally low rating, and some more vocal reviewers went as far to say it was the worst game ever written for the Atari 2600. We may never know if people actually buried 80,000 copies in the desert, but given the very low rating, the actual sales figures, I'm pretty sure most of the copies did find their way into landfills eventually. :D

However, one thing I can say is my parents bought me the game thinking I would like it, since I loved the movie, and I actually hated the video game. There were several reasons why.

First, even though the game included the E.T. trademark on it and had E.T. in it the game was nothing like the movie.It was basically all one level that included the forest, Elliot's house, the hospital, and an area outside with some sort of holes or wells that E.T. had to fly into in order to find pieces of his telephone. Meanwhile a federal agent and a scientist chased E.T. around the screen. When E.T. made it to the ship, took off, the same exact level would repeat until E.T. ran out of energy. I was only like five when I got the game and I found it very stupid, boring, and too easy. If a five year old who loved E.T. thought the game was junk I can only imagine what the die-hard gamers thought. :D

As far as games that are based on a copyright and trademark you are right. A lot of retro remakes use the fair use stipulations in the U.S. copyright laws which states you can legally use a copyright or trademark for educational purposes, for public review, or for personal use provided it is given away for free. Copyright holders try to challenge this in courts, but usually lose. Fan fiction, retro remakes, etc seem to be doing well by sticking to this area of the copyright law.

My point being if I wanted to write a game based on Star Trek, Star Wars, E.T. whatever I could probably do so provided it was freeware and listed as a type of fan fiction.

Cheers!