Now if the board games that are produced were less expensive! $75 for a Monopoly set? $60 or so for Scrabble? How much does a game of similar quality cost for sighted gamers?

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Accessible Checkers

Hi Jim,

Well, I'm not a kid myself, but I do play a lot of board games. I've
several board games that simply are not available from the blind rehab
centers and I think would be enjoyable if they were made accessible.

For example, I've got this one game made in the 80's or 90's called
Hotels. Its similar to Monopoly where you go around the board buying
up properties and then building luxury hotels.  You'd have the Grand
Hotel from Vegas, the Fuji Hotel from Japan, and several others like
that. You'd begin with buying the property, building the main
buildings, adding a swimming pool, and the more complete your hotel is
the more expensive it is to rent. Your goal is to drive all the other
hotel owners out of business. :D

Another game I like is Risk. The board is divided up into six
continents and 42 territories. You can play up to six players and each
player commands an army. If playing mission risk each player gets a
mission card and if they complete their mission before anyone else
they win. If playing domination risk the goal is simply to beat the
opposing armies or make alliances so that the player is in control of
all 42 territories. In either case it is a strategy game were you plan
battles and figure out how to outsmart your opponents.

I have another game called Dark World. It is basically an adventure
game with a big plastic castle, cardboard walls and doors, several
monsters, and four hero tokens. Basically, the player picks a hero
token and attempts to get through the castle killing mummies, orcs,
ogres, skeletons, and goblins.Along the way he or she will find magic
items like enchanted swords, healing potions, magic shoes that will
give them an extra turn, etc. Eventually, they will make it to the
thrown room where they must challenge the snake king. That is probably
one of my favorite games, but I've had to do a lot to make that game
accessible.

Fact of the matter is I probably could go on and on about the games I
own or have played. There is a lot of them that I've enjoyed over the
years and of course aren't made accessible. Either the game didn't
last long such as the Hotels game which I don't believe is sold any
more, or its a promotional game like Star Wars Monopoly, Star Wars
Risk,   Pirates of the Caribbean Life, and so on that is available for
a year or so and is discontinued. Other games such as Mad Gab is a fun
party game, I see no reason why it couldn't be made accessible if the
cards were brailled,  but nobody seems to have taken an interest in
producing a braille and large print version.

In any case my over all point was there is a lot more card and board
games out there on the market that rehab centers simply do not carry
in accessible form. You can go to any Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, or K-Mart,
and there is at least 30 different board and card games on the shelf
at any given time. You open a catalog for the blind and there is five
or six selections. Maybe 10 if you are lucky.

 Mahjong
Hi Thomas,

It's been so long since I was a kid that I don't even know what games you
would like to see made accessible.  The only game that I have that I put
Braille on is Up Words.  I like it better than Scrabble even though it is
similar. I of course have decks of cards and have seen dominos, checkers, chess and monopoly. And there was this block of wood with I think 16 pins.
It was like 3d connect 4.  Can't think of any others right now.

BFN

     Jim

As Leuis Braille said: stay in touch.

j...@kitchensinc.net