Oh they've been in the states since at least the nineties. I remember my sister babysat a kid who was obsessed with those cartoons.

Life, don't talk to me about life.
-----Original Message----- From: Thomas Ward
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:24 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] board games for the blind - Re: Accessible Checkers

Hi Dark,

Interesting. I didn't even know Thomas was that old. Perhaps it hadn't
been imported to the States until later, but the first I heard of the
Thomas cartoons and toys was in 2004 when my son Sean was born. Before
that I had never heard of it.

In any case the game my son Sean has is like Shoots and Ladders. There
are four cardboard trains, and the board is 100 squares of tracks.
There is a spinner you spin to move and some tracks go up, to the next
level of tracks and others lead back to start.It is a pretty cute
game, but  as I said in my prior post it is designed for a 3 to 6 year
old child so is pretty simplistic as games goes. Although, It would be
kind of cool as an audio game.

Cheers!