Hi Dark,

Well, I know all about those sorts of stereotypes. Unfortunately,
they've been going around since the 1970's when Dungeons and Dragons
first came onto the scene. A lot of the people who don't roll play
really don't understand it and are gullible enough to believe anything
anyone tells them.

I can clearly remember when I first started getting into Dungeons and
Dragons people telling me that Dungeons and Dragons was Satan worship,
that people who were into roll playing games were more likely to kill
themselves, and that people who played tabletop RPG were extremely
violent people, etc. All of these roomers were groundless, totally
false, but never-the-less those roomers spread like wildfire.
Especially, in the religious communities who have always frowned on
magic, fantasy, and things they consider to be non-Christian behavior.
However, in my own personal experience most people who play Dungeons
and Dragons are fairly nice decent people. Some have been religious,
but not fanatical about it. None of them have been suicidal or even
remotely homicidal in any way shape or form so where do these stupid
roomers come from?

I've also ran into my share of the other kind of person as well. They
may not believe all the Satanic, suicidal, homicidal crap, but they
may buy into the idea that tabletop roll playing is just a bunch of
nerds sitting around a table throwing dice all night and don't really
realize the depth of story and creativity that goes into a good
session of roll playing. I've known gamemasters who spend an entire
weak writing up his her own custom adventure guide for next week's
meet and that takes a lot of work and planning just so a handful of
people can sit down and play through the game. Its definitely not just
about throwing dice.

Cheers!