Hello.

there are actually very many muds around, in both combat and rp catagories, and some with a mix of both. myself, as online rp isn't something I find interesting I tend to play for pure combat, but even in an extremely combat heavy game like alteraeon or materiamagica there are players who rp.

Some specifically rp orientated muds I've heard of have been new worlds ateraan, Avatar mud, federation 2 and dark isles, check out the games to play online page at www.whitestick.co.uk for a list to some of their sites.

I'm not sure what these games are like, not being an rp fan, but I've heard people often say good things about new worlds ateraan and federation 2 especially.

As to clients and speed, well vipmud from www.gmagames.com is probably the best and most accessible client, working automatically with several text output methods, including sapi, window eyes, jaws and system access. it has a very easy to handle interface and facilities for triggers, aliases and full on scripting if you wish, though using it basically is also fine. It's a commercial program, but the free version has little restrictions, indeed the only major restirction I found in the free version is the lack of msp (and not too many muds have sounds anyway, though i did buy the program myself to support gma).

the one exception to this rule is alteraeon, sinse I'd strongly advise if you want to play that game using the custom mushclient script designed by oriol gomez that turns the game into virtually an audio rpg.

As I said, rp isn't as much my thing, but even in very combat heavy muds there are players who do it, and some muds, like those I've mentioned are very much more rp focused, it's just a case of looking around, reading mud descriptions and finding ones you like.

hth.

All the best,