From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 13 August 2012 15:36
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mapping, item collecting and puzzles in games

Hi Dark,

Exactly my point. That's why I used the Warlord series as an example
of what can be done using an old idea, but can be made so totally
different as to be an original story in its own right. It just takes a
good imagination and some creativity on part of the author in
question.

Recently I have become a huge fan of the Vatta's War series by
Elizabeth Moon. I've listened to the Graphic Audio reproduction of the
books, and now I'm reading the version from the NLS library.

What strikes me about the series Elizabeth Moon does a great job of
starting out with your typical peaceful galaxy with interstellar trade
between worlds, and the Vatta family end up getting caught up in a
pirates aspirations for galactic conquest that leads to all out
galactic war. The only mistake the pirates made is they murdered the
Vatta family, and the surviving member, Ki Vatta, is a military
genius.

What makes Vatta's War compelling is Moon doesn't require a
Federation, Empire, or any kind of Star Trek, Star Wars, or Babylon 5
type setting to tell a good science fiction story. She works from a
basic concept of a rich interstellar trading company who gets caught
up in a conflict with space pirates, and that smaller conflict then
leads to an interstellar space war. In other words she started out
with a basic storyline about intergalactic trade and slowly lead up to
bigger and better things.