I'm using Yahoo classic mail, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually
supposed to save replies but is simply bugged.  Just before writing this, I
decided to see if Yahoo was aware of the problem.

If the mail system doesn't have the option of returning the original message
along with the "message too long" email then I think things should just stay
how they already are.  If the maximum email length was increased then I agree
we would just end up with every post containing the past 50 posts tacked on to
the end.

I was jumping in to give my support to any way that would return the original
messages, but if it isn't offered by the program then pretty much the entire
discussion can be ignored.  Losing the original message is annoying, but that's
just how the system works.