well my friend got spam sent through his account.
his account was not hacked, there are services where you can mimic someone elses email address. All you need to do is trick the recieving email program that you are another address.
If you are scared you can always change your password.
As long as you keep your antivirus and windows and other programs up to date and your protection on then you should feel better or rather be as safe as you can be.
If you still feel scared, you can reformat every few months.
It won't do anything really but it may make you feel happier.
Ofcause it goes without saying if you use any ms account they are always targeted.
gmail is really good from the get go.
You may need sight to set up the account due to recapcha being a real pig but once done its really good. If you are that scared put the 2 step varification which sends codes at your phone whenever you want to access it.
you will need passwords for each app though.
If you are really paranoid like me, don't link anything to your gmail.
I have aol for aim, and my printer company for support but twitter I don't have same with facebook, I have an apple account but my email is not listed.