Hello Kimberly,

A mud is short for multiuser dungeon. Its basically like an online
text adventure where you can join other players online and battle
computer controlled enemies, sometimes human controlled enemyes, as
well as carry out various quests and adventures.

To play a mud you need what is called a mud client such as VIP Mud
which is a special telnet client designed to connect to mud servers,
and have other features such as the ability to play sounds, give you
real time feedback, and the ability to create custom commands to
perhaps perform more than one action at a time.

Alter Aeon is a mud created to be especially blind friendly. Its
developer here is on list and he is always more than willing to lend a
helping hand at getting newbies started playing. Like most muds it is
free and I personally think it is a great place to begin mudding. :D