Hi Tom.

As you know I'm an exploration fiend, so the maze aspect of shades of doom is very much something else I like about the game, aprticularly given that David did a great job with ambient sound sources in the maze which give it an interesting background to explore too even though the game didn't involve much music. combine this with the item randomization and you've got a great game with lots of replay.

The two things I'd have liked to see in shades most are 1, more enemies, since the 7 or so types the game has do seem a little samy after a while especially mid game, and 2, more areas which it was not! necessary to complete to finish the game, but which added to the over all levels.

To explain, as it stand you need to pretty much go everywhere on each level to make sure you get all the data wafers and those messages. it'd be great to see a game that has false trails as well as genuine routes through the levels, so that people can choose to explore fully or to just head for the exit. This would be particularly of advantage in a game with stat boosts or other extras to collect, since then there is always the possibility that exploring leads to more items.

this is something many of my favourite exploration games do, indeed in many of the more recent and large size fan created Turrican levels, there are so many false trails that finding the correct route is near impossible, aprticularly considdering Turrican levels can have their exit anywhere, and some of the fan created ones are truly gigantic!

While I know some people find exploration in audio based games a trial, I'd say that thanks to shades and swamp, not to mention previous mota betas ad games like Airic, we're familiar enough now over using things like coordinates, difference in environment (be these sound sources, room names or whatever), to be albe to have maps at least as complex as those in a game like Original prince of persia.

Beware the Grue!