On a (very) slightly less pie-in-the-sky note...

Has anyone considered the utility of being able to select a subset of cluster/host/metric data from the metadaemon? In other words, you send a command that limits display to values that have been updated in the last 60 seconds, or a particular cluster or host name. Any speed hit from building the new response would probably be made up for in the front-end. If you're viewing host details for one host out of a 900-host combined metadaemon XML feed, and the front end only parses 30 metrics instead of 2700... well...

It would mean rewriting the listen thread of gmetad (and, simultaneously, the front-end) to have a full-duplex conversation and there's some possible gotchas there... but what the heck, this is the developer's list.

Anyway. Another great idea from the people who brought you beer milkshakes...

Since Matt is going to be indisposed for a while due to his new baby, I will take this one. We are definately planning to implement this idea, and I'm glad you see the need for it. Matt's idea, which I think is excellent, is to use XPath to allow subset queries of the XML tree. Each gmetad would understand XPath, and only return the portion of the tree that is pertinent. Yes, this does make things more complicated, we need an interactive protocol to the gmetad, but hey, we're designers.

Federico