Federico Sacerdoti wrote:

Since Matt is going to be indisposed for a while due to his new baby, I will take this one.

:O!!!

Dang, more people I need to send shirts to this month.  :P

We are definately planning to implement this idea, and I'm glad you see the need for it. Matt's idea, which I think is excellent, is to use XPath to allow subset queries of the XML tree. Each gmetad would understand XPath, and only return the portion of the tree that is pertinent. Yes, this does make things more complicated, we need an interactive protocol to the gmetad, but hey, we're designers.

I think a modification of HTTP oughta work, especially considering the more hierarchical nature of Ganglia 3's monitoring core. Heck, we'll probably have to rewrite the fricken' metadaemon anyway.

I haven't been able to devote many cycles to Ganglia lately, as other projects have taken over. I will continue to happily armchair-quarterback on these lists, at the very least, and develop in what spare time I have (which means a Darwin port, probably, so I can run it on my TiBook :P ).