> I'm pretty sure this doesn't provide the semantics you want.

I've been experimenting with something similar, actually.  I'm looking
at the SMART data from the drive and working from that.  The advantage
with this is that it can apparently tell you when your drive is about to
fail even when it hasn't yet failed.  I believe even older drives have a
certain amount of SMART support in there, so it should work even on the
ScrapIron cluster.

Regards,
 Robert.

--
Robert Walsh
Amalgamated Durables, Inc.  -  "We don't make the things you buy."