i just downloaded the tarball on a 3.1 debian "sarge" box and it compiled just fine.

i downloaded the version at...
http://matt-massie.com/ganglia/ganglia-monitor-core-2.5.8.tar.gz
md5sum = b7f31c3ae2f4f91116f5c2c943a74458

and then ran

% find . -exec grep -l sharext_cmds {} \;

and found no reference in any file in the distribution.

when i ran

% find . -exec grep -l shared_ext {} \;
./aclocal.m4
./configure
./libtool

i found three files with the reference.

i don't think we're dealing with an autoconf/automake in compatibility here. you don't even need autoconf/automake/libtool etc installed on a machine to configure and make the distribution... all you need to "/bin/sh".

can you please confirm the location of the sharext_cmds reference you're talking about? can you also confirm the md5 signature of the 2.5.8 tarball that you are using? can you please tell me your exact "./configure" commandline? can you please give me the exact error string that you find when you try to compile the unmodified distribution on your host?

i'm sure we'll find out what's going on but i need more info.

has anyone else out there in ganglialand tried 2.5.8?

-matt

ps i will unicast-enable gmetric today or tomorrow.