--- michael chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/11/05, Brooks Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Either that, or we can deprecate PHP3/force upgrades to PHP4.
> But I'm
> > > not sure if we'd want that.  If it's mostly cruft, we can put
> this
> > > kind of thing in now to allow upgrades (make sure the old handler
> > > warns about PHP3) and then remove it and implement the above
> patch in
> > > a future version.
> >
> > I don't see any particular reason to keep PHP3 support around
> unless
> > doing so is incredibly trivial.  My impression is that more people
> are
> > worrying about making the 4->5 transition then about PHP3.  Given
> the
> > few developers on this project, our time is IMO better spent on
> insuring
> > compatibility with modern tools unless someone is specifically
> interested
> > in older versions.
>
> Sounds fair - I'm personally running PHP4 right now.  So, then,
> should
> someone approve/commit the patch?  It looks okay to me.

 I would agree to above. Are there any known recent Linux distributions
shipping php3 (rhfc4 ships php5)? What about other OSses?

 So, I am inclined to commit this one. In any case, we may want to make
php4 a requirement for the web-frontend.

 And another one: how big are the compatibility issues going 4->5? Any
surprises coming for us?

Martin

Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de