From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Alex Davies
Sent: Mon 19/09/2005 19:37
To: ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Ganglia-developers] Firewall troubles (multicasting with APF/IPTables)

Hi,

I have been  trying to install ganglia on my 13-node cluster and had
it all working wonderfully and was amazed how easilly until I
restarted my firewall :)

I use APF which sits on top of IPTables and as soon as I start it
ganglia just stops communicating with the rest of the world.

All IPs that are involved in the cluster are allowed to communicate on
any port/protocol but there is something not right. I can "telnet ip
8649" from the master to the nodes and I get the XML data absolutly
fine but for some reason the master just is not connecting.

I am also completly confused about the whole multicasting thing - I
dont think I want it but I tried to just use unicast to no avail.

What I really want is either some hints on setting up unicast (with
one "master" connecting to the 13 slaves every 20 seconds or so and
downloading the XMl data), or instructions on IPTables rules for
multicasting (I have tried adding

 iptables -A INPUT  -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT
 iptables -A OUTPUT -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT

which was the only suggestion I could find in the archive, to no avail).

With many thanks,

Alex Davies