brad-

having loadable modules for gmond would be outstanding.  one of the
reason i moved gmond onto apr was for that very reason.

there is no real reason for gmond to statically linked.  it is mostly a
historical artifact really.  when ganglia was first written (back in
2000), package management was a nightmare.  the feedback i got was that
statically linking was favorable since it effectively eliminated most
library dependencies.

package management has come a long way in the last seven years so i
think we should make static linking optional.

the only other dependencies that ganglia has is to expat and libconfuse.
the expat dependency could be easily dropped since apr has all the expat
xml code.

please let us know how we can help.