Brad,

 thanks for providing this functionality. As others already commented,
this is urgently needed.

 Now we have the question how to move on. It seems to me that we are on
the way of opening 3.1 or 4.0.

 My vision for the future would include a completely configurable set
of core metrics for "gmond". But in a way where different gmonds still
can work together in some meaningfull way.

 For example we have to rework the metrics array mechanism in
protocol.x to be much more flexibel. Something that might introduce
incompatibilities to 3.0.x.

Cheers
Martin