On 2007-10-19 11:22:53 -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
> Currently the SONAME for libganglia in trunk is:
>
> SONAME      libganglia-3.1.0.so.0
>
> Is there any particular reason why it is version specific?  i.e. I
> suppose this allows the user to install multiple versions of
> libganglia with different versions, but is this really necessary?
>
> This would ultimately affect the naming of the binary package I guess:
>
> libganglia-3_1_0 vs just libganglia

as the original naming proposal for the libganglia package came from my
patch i would like to mention the background of the name.
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Shared_Library_Packaging_Policy

first of all you can always call the package libganglia and put in it
what ever you want.

we use the library packaging policy to allow multiple versions of the
same lib to be installed in parallel. as you see the library name is
affected by the SONAME.

now if you would think about the soname we come to problems like api/abi
compatibility.

thougths?

    darix

--