>>> On 11/5/2007 at 9:52 AM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex Dean
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've been following the discussion about moving all metrics to Python
> modules, and ceasing to use gmetric for custom metrics.
>
> I'm curious about what these metric modules will look like, and how
> gmond will expect them to be structured.  (If that's been decided yet.)
>   Are there any examples of a Python gmetric modules out there for perusal?
>
> Is there an expectation that there will be 1 module per metric?  I
> currently have a few gmetric scripts that report lots of metrics each
> time they run, and splitting those out into 1 module for each metric
> would be really inefficient.
>
> Just curious what this will look like.

There are a lot of examples of python metric modules as well as 'C' metric
modules.  The source for all of these examples as well as real life functional
modules, has all been checked into SVN.  You can take a look at the python
modules here
http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia/trunk/monitor-core/gmond/python_modules/
 and the 'C' modules here
http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia/trunk/monitor-core/gmond/modules/
 .  The python modules especially, are very easy to write and they do support
multiple metrics per module.  In fact the example module itself is returning
two metrics.  There is a small document on how to create a python module here
http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia/trunk/monitor-core/gmond/modules/python/README?revision=840&view=markup
 .  Take a look and let me know what you think.

Brad