On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Brad Nicholes wrote:

> "Christian Gouret" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello Brad,
> > I read the README pointed by the link you provide, and I see nothing
> > regarding the "spoofing" option introduced in the version 3.0.4 of Ganglia.
> > Does it mean that with "python module", it'll not be any more possible to
> > use spoofing ( I can't believe it ) ?
> > Christian.
> >

> That is actually a question that I have.  Up until now I have not touched the
> "spoofing" code at all.  What was there before, should still work in the code
> that is currently in trunk.  However, the XDR data packet restructuring that
> I am currently working on, affects the "spoofing" packets significantly.  To
> this point, I have not be able to completely understand what the "spoofing"
> code is doing.  I would like to understand the "spoofing" option better from
> a user point of view so that it can be either carried forward in 3.1 as-is or
> replicated in a python or C interface module.  Maybe you can enlighten me on
> what "spoofing" is, how it is used and why.  What is the expected out come or
> functionality?

Brad,

I am also using the spoofing functionality of gmetric.  I have a cluster
grid node running gmetad that collects data from several cluster.  For each
cluster
I have a leader node that collects stats for its cluster nodes or compute
nodes.  The grid node cannot directly talk to compute nodes. On the leader
node I gather customized metrics about compute nodes and feed them via
gmetric into the Ganglia stream.  At that point I need to tag the metrics
with the originating host's IP addr; a compute node.  So, the
leader node inject metrics into Ganglia on behalf of compute nodes.  For
that I obviously need to spoof the IP address from the compute nodes
so that metric injected by the leader appear to originate from those
nodes.

Matthias