Some ideas about a couple of your questions, below:

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 09:41 -0500, Lou Degenaro wrote:

> I'm looking for help in understanding if Ganglia can be used to
> monitor a cluster relative to our needs.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. In our situation. each node has one or more application "instances"
> running, where each application instance has an id and consists of a
> set of daemons running on the node.  Thus app-1 may be comprised of
> one set of instances of daemons a,b,c and app-2 may be comprised of
> another set of instances of daemons a,b,c.  The question is, can
> Gangalia be used to monitor instance specific information.  For
> example, say daemon "a" produces metric "m".  We'd like to collect
> metric "m" from app-1 and from app-2, where both apps are on the same
> node, and be able to tell which "m" is which.

The latest Ganglia makes it pretty easy to monitor pretty much whatever
you like.  My preferred way to do this is via python modules - they are
very easy to write.
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but my feeling about
it is that you should be able to differentiate this in the Ganglia
module that collects that statistics.  In other words, the module you
write to collect the stats should be able to fill your needs, I would
think.
Note that, if I understand correctly, this functionality is in the
latest Ganglia from source, not the current released version.

> 3. How does one programmatically get collected data?  Can our
> "collector" application daemon easily listen for the reports or must
> polling be used?

We've done this programmatically using the rrdpython RRDtool-python
bindings.  We use pyinotify to monitor the RRD files, and be notified
when they are updated, at which point we read the RRD files using the
library.